September 8, 2012

$10 for a hobo? Too much!


I always think of myself as a generous person. That's why when I was walking around Chicago downtown last week, I stopped to reach my wallet when I saw an elderly woman who was carrying a damp cardboard box on which was messily written with a thick marker: "I HAVE 3 KIDS AND NO JOB. PLEASE HELP, HAVE TO PAY FOR FOOD AND DIAPERS. I PRAY FOR YOUR HEALTH AND SUCCESS. THANK YOU." Behind the elderly woman were 3 kids, the oldest being what seemed to be less than 10 year old. The youngest -- who was no older than 2 year old -- kept crying and crying (which reminded me why I hate kids so much).

But yeah. I was walking with my friends as they were going shopping from stores to stores in Chicago downtown. They kept walking as I stopped to reach my wallet. I looked down and saw two $10s. No $5. No $1. Only $10s. And $10 seemed a bit too much to give to a hobo. I glanced back at her and her eyes were now barely visible from under her veil. Our eyes met, or I think they did since she seemed to be looking at something past me. I waited for her to say something to me. I waited for her to say something. I waited. 

Nothing.

She just kept staring at me. And after what seemed to be like an hour of two actors looking at each other in a low-budget Indian movie, she turned her head and looked toward a general crowd, once again. I turned around and saw my friends were getting farther from me. I folded my wallet, slipped it back in my back pocket and made small quick leaps back toward my friends.

For the rest of the day, I wondered whether someone gave her anything that. I wondered what it would feel like if I ended up giving her the $10. Would she be thanking me? Would she be able to feed and buy some diapers for her kids? Would her youngest kid stop crying even for a few minutes? Would her oldest daughter be a bit less thin although just for a pound?

I felt guilty although I knew I didn't do anything wrong. I kept telling myself I already spent $60 for a new pair of shoes, so I would feel bad if I spend more money. But let's face it. Even if I didn't buy the shoes, I would probably still not give her the $10. I wonder why $10 is a lot of money to give to a stranger, yet so little when we use it to shop.

Dear old lady, if you by whatever means are reading this, please know that I feel bad. Please know that if I meet you again when I walk around Chicago downtown, I would definitely reach down to my wallet and give you $20. Let's just hope I won't only be bringing $100 at that time.

2 comments:

  1. eh these things happen to me a lot too ._.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm french so forgive my english please ^^ One year ago I was in London as a worker. One night, I gave 10 pounds to a hobo in the street. The guy was on a bench and it was cold. He tried to cover himself with big plastic bag. He didn't ask me money or anything else but it was too painful to see him this way. So I gave him 10 pounds and I never regret it. I had 20 pounds left for eating for the month.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedbacks keep me writing. Literally. I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts!