April 4, 2012

An insomniac's rant


So yeah. It was 5 in the morning and I had trouble sleeping. In the one hour I spent rolling around my bed trying to sleep, I remembered my winter break in Indonesia back in December.

We -- I and my cousins -- were walking around the mall when we saw a fortune teller in a red tent. Yeah. A fortune teller in a tent in a mall. It seemed super legit. Anyway.

Out of curiosity, I walked in and found a dark-skinned chinese guy. He was wearing a red shirt and red pants. Basically, everything inside the tent was red. Well, apart from his skin, but who cares.

So we walked in and this chinese guy was like 'oh sweet, customers'. I sat across him and asked how much would it cost me to get my fortune told.

"50,000 (It's Rupiah, so it's pretty much like $5)." He said.

"Let me know if I can get my fortune told for 10,000." I stood up from the chair.

"Hai-yaa.. Okay la."

He pulled out a deck of cards. It was tarot. Or at least that's what he said. The cards were real shady. Really. They were more like a laminated paper with drawing on them.

He shuffled the cards and told me to write my name and birthday on a sheet of paper. Then he told me to ask questions. Any questions.

Of course, being a guy and whatnot, I asked whether or not I would get married.

The shady chinese guy pulled out a card. "Yes." He said.

"Age?"

He pulled out another card. "23 or 24."

I was 20 at that time and I didn't even have any crush at that time. I silently wondered maybe my wife was going to be a fictional one.



"I'm actually a student at USA. Will I be able to get a job when I graduate?"

The card he pulled out was a ladder, broken at the second rung. "Not immediately. But after two-three years, you will be able to."

Then my cousins started spouting off questions. Like, random ones.

"What is his wife's name? Eh? You don't know? What about first initial?"

And the questions went on.

Anyway. The one thing that kept me awake was his answer to whether or not I would be able to get a job when I graduate. 

"Not immediately. But after two-three years."

I'm graduating in a month and I'm really supposed to be looking for a job instead of writing this. Oh God. Now I don't even know why I wrote this at the first place. Whatever.

1 comment:

  1. bilang dapet kerja 2-3 taon lagi soalnya uda depresi ga dapet kerja terus ngikut jadi peramal gadungan, ngeramal pake kartu yugi-oh

    ReplyDelete

Your feedbacks keep me writing. Literally. I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts!