March 9, 2012

On smoking, and why I would never do it


I've just finished reading a novel. It's called 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green (and please don't look at me that way for reading a romance novel) and to my surprise, it's actually quite good! The main characters are a girl and a boy who are terminally ill with cancer, Hazel with her lung cancer and Augustus with his leg cancer, respectively. They just met each other and like all other romance novels cliche, they kinda fell for each other straight away. 

Then Augustus Waters reached into a pocket and pulled out, of all things, a pack of cigarettes. He flipped it open and put a cigarette between his lips. 
"Are you serious?" I asked (of course, the 'I' here refers to Hazel). "You think that's cool? Oh, my God, you just ruined the whole thing.
"Which whole thing?" he asked, turning to me. The cigarette dangled unlit from the unsmiling corner of his mouth.  
"The whole thing where a boy who is not unattractive or unintelligent or seemingly in any way unacceptable stares at me and points out incorrect use of literality and compares me to actresses and asks me to watch a movie at his house. But of course there is always a hamartia and yours is that oh, my God, even though you HAD FREAKING CANCER You give money to a company in exchange for the chance to acquire YET MORE CANCER. Oh, my God. Let me just assure that not being able to breathe? SUCKS. Totally disappointing. Totally."
 "A hamartia?" he asked, the cigarette still in his mouth. It tightened his jaw. He had a hell of a jawline, unfortunately.
"A fatal flaw," I explained, turning away from him.
I finished reading the novel in like three days. It's really a deep novel. Amazon even gave it like 4.9/5. Yeah, it's that good. If you're looking for something to read but can't find any, I'd definitely recommend you it. But I'm not writing to talk about the book -- although I would love to do so --, I'm writing to talk about smoking. John Green exactly wrote what I have been thinking ever since I was 10 years old.

As you might have or might not have noticed, I am not a God (duh). And I couldn't care less what He -- with a capital 'H' -- thinks about smoking. I don't care whether He thinks that smoking is more sinful than eating a full meal in McDonalds (which will give you a heart attack in a week instead of a lung cancer in 20 years). I don't care if the girls think smoking is way cooler than playing DotA. Meh.

All I know is that I have never been pain-tolerant. My wisdom tooth is growing in, and it hurts. It hurts when I eat. And if a growing wisdom tooth can hurt me this much, I couldn't imagine how much pain cancer would do to me. So why are these smokers paying a company in exchange to get a cancer? I wouldn't even think about getting a cancer even if I get paid. So why would they? They are not even getting paid, they are the ones paying. Why would they even pay to get a cancer? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I have a few friends who like to smoke. When we hang out together and they go outside to smoke, I would be the odd one out waiting inside for them to finish smoking. It sucks, and I once even thought that I should start smoking in order to be like them. To be accepted by them. But no. It doesn't work that way. If they don't like you, no matter how much smoking you do, they won't like you. And if they do like you, no matter how many cigarettes you decline, they will still like you.



1 comment:

Your feedbacks keep me writing. Literally. I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts!