March 7, 2012

A stranded Asian living in US. (Part 1?)


I had my $10 Skullcandy earphone in my ears. I had a pair of cheap shoes on my feet. I had a gray-ish white hoodie on. And I was holding a $90 old Kindle (which is way better than iPad in terms of reading books, since it's the only thing the old Kindle can do.)


Here is a picture of an old Kindle if you never saw one.

I was still reading my Kindle next to a bus stop, waiting for the bus to come when I realized a black guy was right behind me. He was wearing a suit, and I thought he was saying something, but my iPod was on 80% volume, I couldn't really hear what he said. So I pulled my earphones out.

"Good day. How are you doing today?" he said as he put his right hand forward.

Oh God. Not this again. I rolled my eyes. "Yes, I'm doing well. And I have heard of Jesus. Thank you very much." I said as I shook his hand.

"Oh no no. I'm not here to talk about God." he smiled, his teeth were disturbingly white. "I'm here to represent the children in Haiti."

More eyes-rolling.

"Would you like to donate maybe $10 to them?" he didn't even wait for my response.

I squinted because the sun behind him was so blinding. "Uh no. Sorry."

"Oh come on... Just $10!" His tone was like a child asking his mom if he could stay up late. It was all I could do not to slap him.

"Sorry." I shook my head, my eyes still squinting.

Well, if the story was to end here, the moral of the story would be that I was a jerk. A heartless jerk who didn't care about the children in Haiti. But the story didn't end here.

The black guy then left me without saying anything and walked towards two Asian girls standing a few feet away from me. And I assure you, the ratio of Americans to Asians in that bus stop was like 20,000 : 4 (Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get the point).

I didn't listen to their conversation. Either because my mom always told me that eavesdropping was not good, or because I wanted to go back to reading my book. I guessed it was the latter.

Anyway, the black guy spent like 3 minutes talking to the Asian girls, until he finally shook their hands and then walked away... towards another Asian guy sitting on a bench. He shook his hand and at that point, my bus came and I cared more about getting into the bus (and reading my book) than trying to see if the Haiti children got an additional $10 or not.

My question remains: why? Why did the black guy only ask Asians for donation? There were a lot more Americans than Asians on that bus stop. Why did he pick only Asians?

I told this story to some of my friends and here are some of their maybe:

  1. Most Asians don't speak English very well. It's easier to get a person to do something if that person has no idea how to decline. (Although it's just as simple as saying "no")
  2. They think Asians in US are rich. Like, filthy rich. Since the tuition for international students are like double or triple the tuition for US citizens.
Or in a simpler term, Asians are easier to con. I didn't know which part of my clothes (my $20 hoodie or $15 shoes) screamed "Con me, I'm filthy rich!", but I'd rather spend my $10 on 5 filet-o-fish than give it to an Asian-stereotyping person.

Moral of the story: it's hard being an Asian in US.

1 comment:

Your feedbacks keep me writing. Literally. I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts!